Services > Citizenship

A person may acquire U.S. citizen at birth in a variety of ways, including:

• Birth in the U.S. (including its territories);
•Birth abroad to one or more U.S. citizen parents;
• Naturalization following the lawful acquisition of permanent resident status in the United States
• Derivation, which benefits certain children whose parent or parents naturalize, and citizenship is automatically conferred to those children as a matter of law.

To qualify for citizenship through naturalization a person/applicant must:

• Be a Lawful Permanent Resident. Exceptions are provided for persons who serve honorably in the U.S. military for at least one year or who serve in a time of war or declared hostilities.
• Be at least 18 years old
• Have resided continuously in the United States for five years following receipt of permanent residency; the residency requirement is reduced to three years for persons who are married to U.S. citizens for at least 3 years. A spouse or child who obtained permanent residency under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), as a result of battery or extreme cruelty, also may apply for naturalization after three years of resident status.
• Reside for at least three months immediately preceding the date of filing in the state in which the petition is filed.
• Be physically present in the United States for at least half of the applicable continuous residency period and must maintain continuous residency after filing the naturalization application.
• Be a person of good moral character.
• Be attached to the principles of the Constitution and well-disposed to the good order and happiness of the U.S.
• Be Willing to Bear Arms, Perform Noncombatant Service or Work of National Importance on behalf of the U.S.
• Demonstrate Knowledge of the English Language, U.S. History and Government.
• File application for Naturalization.

At Dryer, Dryer & Alarcon, P.C. we can evaluate your case to determine whether you acquired U.S citizenship at birth, by derivation or are eligible for naturalization. If we determine that you acquired citizenship at birth or by derivation, we can assist you in obtaining a U.S. passport and/or certificate of citizenship to document your status as a U.S. citizen. If you are eligible for Naturalization, we can assist you in preparing your application for naturalization and represent you at your naturalization interview. Our expertise and experience in this area allows us to adequately evaluate important factors, like criminal, immigration and tax history and changes in your marital status or employment, which could have a negative impact on your application for naturalization. Please be aware that in some cases, the denial of a naturalization application could lead to removal proceedings against the applicant. Therefore, it is very important to obtain professional help to evaluate and prepare your application for naturalization. Please call us or e-mail us to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys

Contact Us Online or Call 914 636-5657 to schedule a Consultation with a New Rochelle, Westchester, NY Green Card Immigration Lawyer